Impostor Syndrome

    Just reading the definition alone of impostor syndrome proves to me that I, too, am a victim of this phenomenon. I am especially guilty of comparison, and comparing myself and my abilities to my classmates has been a theme of my OT school experience. There are so many people in my class who ask impressive questions during lectures, that present incredibly impressive presentations, and who seem to have way better study habits and self discipline than I do. I constantly worry that my fieldwork educators are going to think I am "way behind" other students that they have taught, and that I'll embarrass my professors at UTHSC as a result. It sure isn't a surprise that I scored an 82 on the Clance IP Scale, classifying me as often having "intense IP experiences." This makes it pretty clear to me that this is something I need to address, and I am glad to have learned some tips from the "Facing Impostor Syndrome as a New Grad" article by Suzy Albanese and the "Impostor Phenomenon" podcast episode by On The air. 

    I especially enjoyed listening to Kendal Booker's five tidbits of advice on the podcast episode. She said to "kick perfectionism to the curb," which actually surprised me because I've never really heard someone encourage to neglect it. I am SUCH a perfectionist which probably is a catalyst for my impostor syndrome. However, I know this is something I should do especially in fieldwork, because fieldwork is where I will make a ton of mistakes no matter how hard I try. I have to constantly remind myself of "progress, not perfection." I also love how she said to "inspect what you expect." I often make extremely unrealistic expectations and end up being disappointed that my intricately prepared scenario did not come to fruition. I have to analyze my expectations for fieldwork, NBCOT prep, and job search. Dr. Lancaster also brought up having a mentor which has always been really important to me in my faith life, so I know it would also make a huge difference in my professional life. One more suggestion included in the article by Suzy Albanese was to create professional goals, since meeting them will be a "sure fire way to overcome impostor syndrome." I think this is a great idea, since reaching a goal is such a great way to improve confidence and create even more momentum! 

    Although I have unknowingly let impostor syndrome creep into my life as an OT student, I now want to try with my best efforts to combat it from here on out. I know if I remain calm and confident (all while being humble), I can experience fieldwork as best I can. 

Comments

Popular Posts