Neuro Note #5

 

For my fifth and final neuro note, I decided to look at Guillain-Barré Syndrome, because I knew absolutely nothing about it prior to taking this class. I have no idea what I thought it would be, but I did not expect it to be an autoimmune disorder that damages a person’s nerves and can cause paralysis. Even more so, I was shocked to learn in class that most people recover from GBS and live a relatively normal life.
 
Tonight I watched a YouTube video titled “Guillain-Barré Syndrome – Miranda’s Journey.” During finals week of Miranda’s first semester of college, she contracted an unknown virus, and five days later she was experiencing very unusual symptoms. Her symptoms included things like fatigue, extreme back pain, and tingling in her hands, feet, and lips. She then could not walk on her own and was given the diagnosis of GBS. Her paralysis got so bad over the next two weeks that she could not even turn her head or breathe on her own. Thankfully, though, she reached the plateau and finally the light at the end of the tunnel was in view. When she could finally flex her wrist, I thought it was so sweet that Miranda’s family placed a bell around her wrist to notify them at night in the hospital when she was awake. This video was incredibly uplifting – getting to see so many pictures and clips of Miranda’s milestones in inpatient therapy was so just beautiful. In addition, what I love about this video is how it captured even the smallest victories, such as finally getting her legs shaved and finally getting her hair washed after five weeks. One of my favorite parts was where the video listed, “Things Miranda is looking forward to after extubation” and it listed speaking, drinking water, kissing her boyfriend, eating, brushing teeth, smiling, washing entire face, closing mouth, coughing, freedom to move without concern for tubes, sleeping in any position, having less dry mouth, applying Chapstick to entire lips, feeling cooler, and no annoying ventilator alarms. It really made the video feel personal and it made me feel more understanding of Miranda’s situation. Of course, though, my absolute favorite part of the video was when Valentine’s Day came around and Miranda’s therapists were able to get she and her boyfriend out to a restaurant for dinner. 
 
Miranda’s story is such a story of staying tough and fighting a hard battle, with determination to overcome a diagnosis. Miranda was hospitalized for sixty-eight days and was almost back to baseline after three months of outpatient therapy. She even was water skiing the next July and was back in college the next fall for her first semester of sophomore year. Since recovery from GBS for some people can take up to two years, Miranda’s story is extraordinary. Miranda’s video taught me to never give up hope no matter what life throws at me. It also reminded me, again, how rewarding occupational therapy is. I absolutely cannot wait to work with people just like Miranda one day and provide hope in such a dark time. This video is incredibly special, and I recommend it to anyone and everyone who wants to see a tough fight won.






Clash, K. (2015, December 23). Guillain-Barré Syndrome – Miranda’s Journey [Video]. 

YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pu_upY2OhQ

Comments

Popular Posts